Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Words or Topics That Make Me Pick Up a Book

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely people over at The Broke and the Bookish. As it is, this is my first Top Ten and am glad to be contributing!



These are my top ten words:

Quirky
I enjoy unique story - something with a bit of flair and personality that isn't really seen in the norm of writing. If I see this in a summary, or in a review, or as a praise on the cover, I'll probably pick it up and  read the crap out of it. 

Zombies
I really like zombie movies, novels, and dressing up like a zombie. No, really, I even plan on going to a 5k Obstacle course where I get chased by zombies. No, really.

Post-Apocalyptic
I'm not sure what it is about a good chunk of the population suddenly dying off, but it intrigues me and makes for a good story. Especially if there are zombies.

Fantasy
When I was in middle school, the fantasy section of the school's library pretty much owned my soul. I distinctly remember reading a good chunk of that small section and the school's librarian making a list of suggestions specifically for me. That big Fantasy and Sci-Fi sign still gets me every time.

Comedy/Satire
I love a good book that makes me laugh so I love it when a summary explains "a comedic blah blah blah." Then I pick it up and hope that I'm not drinking anything while I'm reading it lest I blow liquid out of my nose from snortling laughter.

Sacrilege
Have I ever told you all about how much i love writers who test religion? Remember when The Golden Compass made a big hullaballoo from being written by an Atheist author? Oh man, I love controversy and I love religious controversy. If anything so much as touches on the subject of breaking religious boundaries, I'm all over that like a fat kid on cake.

Books
Does anyone else love reading books about books? If it involves being trapped in a book world, a bookstore, or even banning books, I love to read about it. I love it when my books are about books.

WWII/Holocaust
When I look for something that makes me think on life for a while, I pick up a book about WWII or the Holocaust. Sometimes I need a good slap in the face to put me back to what hardship is. At the same time, I'm inspired and moved by the need for survival and life. 

Dystopian
Okay, so when people think dystopia, they think of YA novels like The Hunger Games. I think of Brave New World, 1984 and Fahrenheit 451. I mean, nothing against YA novels, at all, but when I think of 1984, I'm scared out of my willies, where Hunger Games didn't emotionally impact me quite as well. However... this work of dystopia still makes me want to pick up the book, even if it's just to read the first few pages.

Strange/Weird
I like it when things are described as strange or weird, and every other related word in a title. It means there's going to be a very............ special kind of character setting the motions of the story.

1 comment:

  1. Love a good war book, but only when it is more emotional than bang bang.

    It's strange/frustrating how dystopian fiction immediately makes a lot of people think of YA - I agree Clockwork Orange and 1984 got me thinking. As much as I enjoyed Hunger Games, it didn't have the same effect.

    ReplyDelete